If you have been hearing an increasing amount of information lately on MCT oil and how you should be adding it to your diet, you may be wondering what exactly it is, why you should use it and how it can benefit you. Before you simply add it to your shopping cart, learn more about this popular product, and how it can become a valuable part of your daily diet.
Understanding MCT Oil
All fats are composed of a series of fatty acids, which link together in a chain. Those chains can be long, medium or short, and lend fat to be solid or liquid at room temperature. With each one having its own properties and resulting benefits, researchers have worked to parse out the best ones to include in the diet for their health benefits and for use as energy. Medium Chain Triglycerides (MCTs) have been found to be an excellent source of fuel for the body that is capable of being generated into energy that the body can use.
When we consume MCT Oil, it is absorbed quickly by the body. This means it can act as an immediate source of energy, activating our bodily organs and systems that require energy at the time, such as our muscles and immune system. Upon fast absorption, MCTs can also be sent directly from the gut to the liver, where they are converted into ketones. It is these ketones, which can pass through the blood-brain barrier and serve as energy for the brain cells.
How to Use MCT oil
MCT oil is liquid at room temperature and has a high smoke point. Both of these characteristics make MCT a great to use in your everyday recipes, including your morning coffee, tea, smoothies, dressings and sauces. Many people opt to drizzle it on their sandwich, salad or soup, or add it into a smoothie. The oil is odourless and tasteless, making it an easy oil to add it wherever you choose.
The Benefits of Fat for Fuel
While earlier research showed that the brain could only function on glucose for fuel, the new research showing its ability to use ketone bodies for energy is incredibly important when it comes to exploring the ability and benefits of fat as the body’s main fuel source:
- Decreases sugar cravings, energy crashes and elevated insulin levels, as there are fewer carbohydrates consumed and required for energy.
- Helps improve brain health by offering a nourishing and sustainable source of fuel for the brain, which in turn may play a role in helping reduce Alzheimer’s Disease.
- Individuals can go for extended periods of time without eating, which helps improve metabolism, increases lifespan and helps with weight loss.
- MCT oil offers support to the gut, improving digestion, helping rebalance gut microflora, encouraging better nutrient absorption and in the process improving mood and mindset.
- High-quality Medium Chain Triglycerides (MCT) oils contain antioxidant properties, helping reduce oxidative damage in the body, which can be caused by an overconsumption of processed foods or too many unhealthy fats.
- MCT oil has antibacterial, antiviral and antifungal properties, offering a big boost to the immune system and helping protect vital organs within the body such as the heart.
If you want to have more energy, help improve your brain function and mental clarity, as well as know you are improving your overall health from the inside out, it’s time to incorporate MCT oil into your daily routine.